blog about contributors archives Passion Magazine

October 3, 2010

Quiet Time. Vs. Love Time

"Most Christians have been taught in church or by their parents to set aside a daily time for prayer and Scripture reading. It's what we are supposed to do, and so for a long time it's what I valiantly attempted. When I didn't, I felt guilty.

Over time I realized that when we love God, we naturally run to Him--frequently and zealously. Jesus didn't command that we have a regular time with Him each day. Rather, He tells us to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." He called this the "first and greatest commandment" (Matt. 23:37-38). The results are intimate prayer and study of His Word. Our motivation changes from guilt to love.

This is how God longs for us to respond to His extravagant, unending love; not with a cursory "quiet time" plagued by guilt, but with true love expressed through our lives. Like my little girl running out to the driveway to hug me each night because she loves me."

Francis Chan, Crazy Love, pgs. 55-56

Girl talk: Do you agree? Should we set aside time for God each day, or should we naturally go to Him out of our love for Him?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes and yes! You should so put aside a time for Jesus! Love the post... and the blog!
    Love,
    Manda
    http://mandasmessages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete