blog about contributors archives Passion Magazine

March 18, 2010

Sole Rest

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my Rock and my Salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken." (Psalm 62:1-2)

Is it a tall order to find rest and strength alone in the Creator of the universe, the King of life, the Redeemer of our souls who has an endless love for His creation? It shouldn't be. But it is. We rest in the fact that we are well off, or we have a lot of friends, or our social status in school or church, or even silly things, like how we are having a good hair day. But God wants to be our SOLE source of rest, peace, and protection. He wants us to reach the point where He is our everything. We'll never be perfect because of our sin nature, but with His help, we can get really close to it. And when we are snatched away into heaven, His glory will be the only thing there and truly our Everything.


Girl Talk: What do you find rest in? What makes it tough to lean on God instead of this?

4 comments:

  1. One thing I find myself drawing strength from instead of Jesus is friends and relationships. There's nothing wrong with having friends to lean on in times of trial, but if it's before, in place of, or even close behind God, that's never good news. What's hard for me is that I live in a physical world, and God is so intangible compared to the things that I like to trust in. I like to lean on things I can hear, see, and perceive. But God is invisible, often silent, and difficult to understand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that I lean on the internet for solutions to my problems and for security. I lean on the things that are supposed to bring me closer to God, such as music rather than actually leaning on God. Sometimes I'm so absorbed with such things that I forget the One I'm really meant to lean on - Jesus, the One I'm suppose to seek and the only One who can really meet my needs. So I'll be praying that He'll help me truly lean on Him always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that when I am going through hard times I often rely on myself. I know, STUPID!, but none the less true. I often find myself trying to take on not only my problems, but that of others. Be the strong on in the face of trial and be there when they are crying. Maybe it's a pride issue, that I just don't want people to see me cry or something. But it ends up bad and I feel overwhelmed and end up taking it out on the wrong people. (I have struggled with anger in the past...) I end up trying to read my bible more and listen to worship music and prayer. Lost and lots of prayer! He has helped me though many trials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of the above post! I often rely on praise music bc i mean it has God's word in it often... yet i miss SO much by letting that be all of God's word I get. Also the friend thing... i ask their opinion before i seek God's opinion... Thanks for the reminder though! :)

    ReplyDelete