blog about contributors archives Passion Magazine

January 31, 2011

Like a Child

The moon is made of cottage cheese.

No, really. The moon has been scientifically proven to be made up of a clotted cream-like substance that is soft to the touch and totally cottage-cheesy to the taste. Samples are sitting in the NASA museum...no really! I'm serious!

Fine. Don't believe me, then. ;) But what if I had told that to a classful of preschoolers?

What about Santa, or the tooth fairy, or the fact that you'll blow up if you sneeze, burp, and poke your belly button at the same exact time?

My point is, kids believe stuff that's completely outrageous, that with any logical reasoning would immediately be proven false. Why?

Simple. They have faith.

They have faith in the people that tell them "Of COURSE there's such a thing as the tooth fairy." "Haven't you SEEN the color of the moon? Obviously it's made of cottage cheese, because only cottage cheese is that color."

"Ohhhhhhhh." Their eyes fill with wonder as the impossible suddenly becomes possible, simply because you say so.

Now here's a thought.....

What if we believed God when he told us that he would do stuff?

What if we ACTUALLY believed him with all our hearts, just like as a kid you put your tooth under your pillow, or put cookies out for Santa, or told all your friends that you knew someone who had accidentally exploded?
We would change the world, that's what would happen.

Nothing would be impossible:

"'You don't have enough faith,' Jesus told them. 'I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it would move. Nothing would be impossible'" (Matthew 17:20, NLT).

The Father would give us everything we ask for inside His will:

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" (John 14:12-14, NLT)

He will show you what life truly is:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
      and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
      and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6, NIV).

He will never, ever leave you alone.

". . .and be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20b, NLT).

Let's start taking God at His word.

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME! John 14: 12-14 is my favorite verse. I've been working on (and praying on!)living by faith in Jesus Christ, my Savior.

    ReplyDelete