blog about contributors archives Passion Magazine

December 1, 2011

What to do with your life??

Until recently in my older teenage years, I've always stressed out about how I was going to live my life and how my future was going to go. Namely, I wanted to make sure that I was doing God's will in my life, and I hoped, hoped, hoped that I would never make the mistake of going to the "wrong" college, getting the wrong career, marrying the wrong person, moving to the wrong city...I kind of waited for God to suddenly appear in a glowing figuration as I prayed and send me to a country as a missionary, or tell me to go to this college, or just give me some kind of mission for my future!

But what I never knew was that, although God certainly does choose to personally in a very direct way guide us on a specific path... most of the time, we should just focus on glorifying Him in our daily lives, loving others at least as much as ourselves, and doing what we desire.

Whoa... did I just say that?? Doing what we want in life?? Let me explain.

Something that changed my perspective on this concept was a book excerpt by John MacArthur called "Found: God's Will". I encourage you to find it and purchase the book - it's definitely worth it. But he described that if we simply find our delight in the Lord, He will shape the direct of our heart and we can simply go after what we want, whether that's being an artist, moving to California, or volunteering for something. This is not an unbiblical concept. You see Paul and the team of people he was doing missionary work with in Acts executing this philosophy. Check out how it turned out:

"Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to. So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them." Acts 16:6-10

Paul and his companions simply went from town to town, preaching the gospel everywhere, and where they want. They decided that they wanted to preach in a certain place of Asia - so they tried to get in. The Scripture doesn't say how the Spirit did it (perhaps it was by a closed door of opportunity?), but He kept them from going into the area. They kept trying, though! They didn't just give up and write it off as not God's will! In life, it's like we're all in a maze of walls, mirrors, and opened and closed doors, and we bump into these things and feel our way through until we find the right opening to continue on. And that's exactly what this missionary team did. They kept trying to get into Asia. Through that, it led them to other areas where they might not have gone otherwise to preach the gospel, but also they were led down a slightly different path - God wanted them to go to Europe! Christianity no longer would be an Asian cult, but spread throughout the globe through their missionary acts there.

This post is getting long, so I just want to encourage you girls about something I've learned and am learning. Abide in God, and prayerfully and intelligently go after what you want as long as it's holy, and don't give up. Pray, pray, pray, and worship Jesus, and live how He wants you to live - in kindness, in relationship, in strength, and in the Spirit, and don't worry about getting some grand vision from God about what to do with your future. If you are simply with Him, He is with you, and watching out for you - so go in life. Run. It's a short run until we reach eternity with our Father - let's live it to the fullest and to the glory of God.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a great post! I loved the example from Acts. This is something that I've always stressed out about and worried over as well! I think that God is slowly teaching me the same thing. Thanks so much for this encouraging reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....loved this as well. I've had the same issues. And it's been frustrating as I've had to make big life decisions and I don't seem to see a big "This Way" sign anywhere. It's been more opening and closing doors that guides me...as well as my personal desires and interests. So thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete