blog about contributors archives Passion Magazine

May 9, 2011

Feeling Beautiful...

Hey Girls,
Sorry it's been so long! It's finals week for me....so I really enjoyed the post about not stressing out :)

Anyway, I guess I want to share something that I've been dealing with lately.  I wonder if anyone can relate to my problem.  When you break out (more than normal), do you feel ugly? This may seem trivial, but my face has been breaking out a lot recently, which isn't normal.  And I'm going to a military ball on Saturday.  Every time I look in the mirror I cringe...it makes me feel so ugly.  But as I've been dealing with this, a thought popped into my head.  I wouldn't go as far as saying that God made me break out, but maybe he wants me to learn something through this.  Though this whole situation may seem silly, it forces me to reconsider what makes me, and everyone else, beautiful.

Does being beautiful depend on how much makeup I wear or what guys think of me? Does it matter if I look like a plastered, fake supermodel?  Does it even matter what I think of how I look? I believe the answer to all these questions is no.  If beauty is a superficial as all of this, then people would be beautiful one day and ugly the next--and that doesn't make sense.  So I have come to the conclusion that my beauty doesn't rest in me, but in God.  Yes, we've all been told that inner beauty is what really matters.  But how many of us stop and really consider the truth in that? I certainly don't...not until I am faced with less than ideal circumstances.  As I look in the mirror, I am forced to decide how I will define beauty.  Will I compare my looks to the world or look to God for my self-worth?  I pray we all find our beauty in Him.

~Megan


Megan Brainerd, from New York, is a busy nursing student who loves to hang out with her friends, read, and play the piano :) Her email is piano93@verizon.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment